I recently completed architecting and implementing a full-scale DR solution for a mid- to large Biotech company based in NY. It was a great project that had many phases but ended with a successful DR exercise where their top 3 critical applications were recovered at the DR site. I won’t go into too many of the specifics but my involvement included the following:
- Business Impact Analysis of current applications/services to assist the business in determining criticality
- review of potential designs and cost to support DR in-house versus out-source (Client did choose to outsource). A major part of the architecture involved creating a replication schema for VM’s as the Client is a heavy VMware user.
- creation of final DR design which included EMC RecoverPoint for block replication of Tier 1 apps (RPO < 1 hr), Data Domain Clone Controlled Replication of Tier 2 apps (RPO = 24hr).
- Design and implementation of compute and storage infrastructure at DR site. This included a VMAX 10K and new Cisco Nexus switches for FC connectivity.
- drafted and execute Recovery Plans for the virtual environment and Tier 1 critical apps.