OK, so this has been covered a million times, but for my own notes here is how you do it-
For ESX hosts-
- SSH to ESX host.
- Login, either as root if permitted or as a secondary user. If you login as secondary user, su – up to root.
- first command: service mgmt-vmware restart
- second command: service vmware-vpxa restart
For ESXi hosts-
- Connect to the console, either directly or through ILO, or DRAC, or KVM tool, or whatever.
- Hit F2 to customize system.
- Login as root.
- Select Restart Management Agents.
Now what I would like to know is how to accomplish the agent restarts for ESXi without attaching to the console. ILO is slow and cumbersome. Need to find a CLI command that accomplishes the same from the comfort of my fast laptop.
VMware KB article –